Temple of the Emerald Buddha
Phra Si Rattana Chedi (The Main Stupa)

The Main Stupa

This main Stupa was erected by King Rama IV in 1855 and regarded as the most sacred in the Royal Chapel. In the hollow interior is a smaller stupas containing sacred Buddha relics. King Rama V had the exterior covered with golden mosaic tiles imported from Italy. This stupa was built in imitation of one of the three stupas at Wat Phra Si Sanphet which was the Royal Chapel in the old capital of Ayutthaya.

Related Stories:


About | Index | Feedback | Hot Links | Travel Help | Search

Copyright ©2011 Infothai CM Co., Ltd. All rights reserved.
Web site design and hosting by Infothai CM Co., Ltd.
This document was updated on:  February 28, 2017