The Royal Grand Palace:
Phra Thinang Chakri Maha Prasat Group

This group was built by King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) and in the beginning consisted of 11 buildings but only three remain today.

Chakri Maha Prasat

This building was constructed by King Rama V to commemorate the centenary of the Chakri Dynasty. It was designed by a British architect in the European style with a pure Thai Style roof. Construction took six years from 1876 to 1882.

Chakri Maha PrasatOn the top floor of the central mansion are kept the royal ashes and the king gives public audiences from the front projection. The second floor serves as an audience hall and the ground floor is the office of the royal guards.

On the top floor of the eastern wing religious objects are kept. the middle floor serves as a reception hall for royal guests. the lower floor serves as a guest waiting room.

On the top floor of the western wing ashes are kept of the royal queens and high ranking princes and princesses. The middle floor is the guest chambers and the lower floor serves as a library.

Two galleries join the central portion to both the east and west wing. The eastern portion also has a reception room where portraits of the kings of the Chakri dynasty from Rama I to Rama VII are displayed. In the west portion is a hall where portraits of the queens of Rama IV, Rama V, and Rama VII are displayed.

The Throne Room
In the rear center of the Chakri Maha Prasat is the Chakri Throne Room. Here the King receives ambassadors on the occasion of the presentation of their credentials. The emblem of the Chakri dynasty is depicted on the wall behind the throne.

Related pages:


About | Index | Feedback | Hot Links | Travel Help | Search

Copyright ©2011 Infothai CM Co., Ltd. All rights reserved.
Web site design and hosting by Infothai CM Co., Ltd.
This document was updated on:  December 21, 2016