The Royal Grand Palace (continued)
Borophiman Mansion and Siwalai Garden Group

When King Rama II had the palace precincts expanded he ordered three golden halls and many European and Chinese style building to be constructed. Later King Rama III had these buildings pulled down to make room for temples to be constructed dedicated to his late father. King Mongkut (Rama III) ordered a residence also be constructed and stayed there until the end of his life.

Siwalai Maha PrasatPhra-Thinang Siwalai Maha Prasat

This building was built by King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) to enshrine the statues of the four previous kings in the Chakri dynasty in 1869. Later King Rama VI had the statues moved to the Temple of the Emerald Buddha. Since then Siwalai Maha Prasat has been left vacant.


Sitalaphirom PavilionPhra-Thinang Sitalaphirom

This small pavilion made of wood was built by King Rama VI as a place for his private repose and as a seat during open air parties. At present the King sits there when he gives a garden party or on his birthday for high ranking government officials.

Phra Phuttha RattanasathanPhra Phuttha Rattanasathan

This building was built by King Rama IV to install the Buddha image called Phra Buddha Butsavarat which was brought from Champasak in Laos. The building has been used by the king for some Buddhist rituals including ordination ceremonies.


Boromphiman MansionPhra-Thinang Boromphiman

This European style building was built by King Rama V who planned to give it to the crown prince, H.R.H. prince Maha Vajirunahis who died before it was completed. Prior to his coronation King Rama VII stayed here for sometime. King Ananda Mahidol (Rama VIII) took residence here together with his younger brother and mother when they returned from Europe in 1945. King Rama VIII passed away in this mansion. It now serves as a guest house for visiting royalty and heads of state.

Phra-Thinang SutthaisawanPhra-Thinang Sutthaisawan

Originally a wood structure without any roof decorations built by King Rama I to watch parades and the training of elephants. King Rama III had it replaced as it is today. It is used to receive public audience from the balcony

Related pages:

About | Index | Feedback | Hot Links | Travel Help | Search

Copyright ©2011 Infothai CM Co., Ltd. All rights reserved.
Web site design and hosting by Infothai CM Co., Ltd.
This document was updated on:  December 21, 2016